University study will be available to Ukrainian refugees, says minister – The Independent

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in
Find your bookmarks in your Independent Premium section, under my profile
The Government has pledged to ensure that Ukrainians fleeing war can study at Irish universities.
Higher Education Minister Simon Harris also confirmed that Irish students who fled from Ukraine will be able to continue their studies in Ireland, after places were made available by universities.
The majority of those students were studying medicine or dentistry.
Mr Harris met with the Irish Universities Association (IUA) on Monday to discuss the crisis in Ukraine and the response of the Irish third-level sector.
It comes as Ireland prepares to accept potentially tens of thousands of refugees from the war-torn country.
Mr Harris said one of the most pressing issues will be English language support.
Education officials met Solas and Education and Training Boards Ireland on Monday to discuss how to meet the English language needs of adults and children from Ukraine.
“This is crucial to ensuring people have the ability to understand the information being presented to them, and to help them embed in Irish society,” Mr Harris said.
“We will also need to provide employment opportunities for people and offer people the chance to engage in further education.
He said that fitting Irish students back into courses in Ireland was an “immediate priority”.
“My department has contacted them all and they are deeply traumatised by what has unfolded. We will work to extend supports and care to them.
“The IUA universities have confirmed they will provide the places necessary and we look forward to working with them on that.
“We will also work collectively to ensure Ukrainian people can access higher education here too.”
On Sunday, the Taoiseach said that Ireland’s humanitarian response trumps security checks on arriving Ukrainians.
Micheal Martin said the state has so far accepted 5,500 people fleeing the Russian invasion and may take in more than 100,000.
He said Ireland’s priority is the humanitarian response to what he termed “the worst displacement of people since World War Two”.
“Our primary impulse is to assist those fleeing war,” he said.
Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism
By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists
{{#verifyErrors}} {{message}} {{/verifyErrors}} {{^verifyErrors}} {{message}} {{/verifyErrors}}

By clicking ‘Create my account’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.
Already have an account? sign in
By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.
PA Archive
PA Wire
Want to bookmark your favourite articles and stories to read or reference later? Start your Independent Premium subscription today.
Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in
Log in
New to The Independent?
Or if you would prefer:
Want an ad-free experience?

source


0Shares

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.